Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Sunshine

The oil spill has been weighing heavy on my heart today.

I believe, most people will agree that this is a terrible tragedy.

To those of us who live here, who call this beautiful land our home, there are no words to describe the devastation.

This is our HOME.

These are our people.

My heart breaks for the those who are losing their homes, their livelihoods,
their very way of life.

I grieve for our wetlands, which I love dearly.

My heart cries out in prayer for my home.

We feel so helpless as we watch the powers-that-be nonchalantly "do what they can".

We watch our home being destroyed...... and no one seems to be doing enough.

Not the president, not the government, not the company responsible for this travesty.

What can we do?

We sit.

We watch.

We pray.

Oh, we pray.

For the ones who are losing everything.

For the ones who are truly helping, but feel like they are fighting a losing battle.

For the animals, the fish, the plant life, the waters, all the beauty that has been given us.

For our leaders to have wisdom to deal with everything.

For a solution, an answer, a fix.













The photos of the oil covered pelicans literally moves me to tears.
The pelican is our state bird, the symbol of our state.
I don't think I need to explain any further.

I will end this by sharing the lyrics to our 2 state songs.
The first is "Give me Louisiana."
The second is "You are my Sunshine," which was written by former governor Jimmie Davis.


 Give me Louisiana,
The state where I was born
The state of snowy cotton,
The best I've ever known;
A state of sweet magnolias
And creole melodies
Oh give me Louisiana,
The state where I was born
Oh what sweet old memories
The mossy old oaks bring
It brings us the story of our Evangeline
A state of old tradition,
Of old plantation days
Makes good old Louisiana
The sweetest of all states.

Give me Louisiana,
A state prepared to share
That good old southern custom,
Hospitality so rare;
A state of fruit and flowers,
Of sunshine and spring showers
Oh give me Louisiana,
The state where I was born
Its woodlands, Its marshes
Where humble trappers live
Its rivers, Its valleys,
A place to always give
A state where work is pleasure,
With blessings in full measure
Makes good old Louisiana
The dearest of all states.

Give me Louisiana,
Where love birds always sing
In shady lanes or pastures,
The cowbells softly ring;
The softness of the sunset
Brings peace and blissful rest
Oh give me Louisiana,
The state where I was born
The smell of sweet clover
Which blossoms everywhere
The fresh new mown hay
Where children romp and play
A state of love and laughter,
A state for all here after
Makes good old Louisiana
The grandest of all states.
















You are My Sunshine
The other night, dear
As I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
When I awoke, dear
I was mistaken
And I hung my head and cried;

I'll always love you
And make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me
To love another
You'll regret it all some day;

You told me once, dear
You really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me
And love another
You have shattered all my dreams;

Louisiana my Louisiana
the place where I was borne.

White fields of cotton

--green fields of clover,

the best fishing

and long tall corn;


Crawfish, gumbo, and jambalaya

the biggest shrimp and sugar cane,

the finest oysters

and sweet strawberries

from Toledo Bend to New Orleans;

Chorus:

YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE
My only sunshine
You make me happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know dear
How much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away.














(pelican trying to take flight in a pool of oil)


Please don't take my sunshine away......

2 comments:

lainie said...

Louisiana the best place to live
stupid oil lets get it out of here
i love you mama

Kathy B. said...

Awesome entry! Lord save our Louisiana!