Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Thirteen


I've done a list like this before, but I've got a new list of favorites.......
so today's Thursday Thirteen is a list of my 13 favorite iPod apps.

In no particular order....

1. Momento- ($3)- An app for journalers- you can add "moments" (entries) throughout the day. It can also save all of your Facebook and Twitter posts, Flickr pics, and Last FM history for that particular day to the daily entry.
The "moments" can be exported for printing.
The only downside is that the Facebook, Twitter, and other social site updates can't be exported. I copy them into an email, mail them to myself, and then put them into Notepad with the exported moments.
Hopefully they will change this in an update soon.

2. TuneWiki- (free) Seriously, what's NOT to love about this app?
It allows you to share your favorite songs on Facebook and Twitter. Simply "blip" the song you're currently listening to and it posts a link on FB or Twitter. Your friends can click on the link and listen to the song.
Also, it puts the lyrics to your currently playing song on your screen and it scrolls along with the music. If the lyrics aren't quite synced up correctly, you can re-sync them!
There are other features, but these are the best ones.

3. Lyric Search- (free) If you don't like your lyrics scrolling across the screen, use this app to do a quick search for your currently playing song. All you have to do is touch the Lyric Search button and it will do a google search for lyrics for the currently playing song.

4. GetGlue- (free) Share what you're watching, reading, or listening to on your favorite social network. You can get suggestions for others you might like. You're rewarded with real stickers for participating..... nothing like getting free stuff!

5. Biorhythmia (free)- simply keeps track of your biorhythms- holds up to 4 birthdays

6. Battery Magic ($1-$3)- Tells you what percentage of power your battery has left. While it's charging, it lets you know how much time you have left to charge. Simple, but useful. There are more features, but these are the ones I use it for.

7. Tumblr- (free)-I love Tumblr and all it's mini-blogging goodness. This app lets you browse your Dashboard, your tumblr site, and post pictures, videos, etc. from your iPod.

8. Flickr- (free)- if you don't know what Flickr is, you're probably not online much (I was going to say "living in a cave", but I thought that wouldn't be very nice.) I use this app to browse Flickr pictures, then post my favorites to Tumblr.

9. Words With Friends (free/$3)- play Scrabble with your friends! This is my favorite iPod game. My user name is arbw, if you wanna play. ;-) There is a lite version, which is free, but it has a few ads. The paid version is exactly the same, but without the ads.

1o. Sight Words (free)- educational- for little guys learning to read- it is colorful and just shows the word on the screen with no picture cues- it contains about 100 Dolch words- there is a full version that has about 1500 words

11. Preschool Connect-the-Dots (free)- I use this with J. when we are waiting anywhere that he needs something to keep him entertained- it has connect-the-dots using alphabets and numbers. When the dots are connected it turns into an animated image. Fun and educational.

12. GoodReads (free)- access your GoodReads account from your ipod - does almost everything you can do on the web site. I wish I could explore quotes..... that's the only thing I would add.

13. Kindle app (free)- I have to add this one to the list because I use it all the time- I can sync it with my Kindle, read, and search for more books. I have no complaints about this one.

No comments: