Saturday, December 26, 2009

Creative Inspiration

As I mentioned before, I fell in love with the hearts and trees garland I made for Christmas.
We took down the tree, but my little garland is still hanging over our doorway.
I'm not ready to let go yet.

I've decided to make another one (or two ;-)) to keep up year round.
My living room is very brown. Ick.
I've decided it's time to add some color.

I've been inspired by this blog: Attic 24
Her home is lovely.
I've linked my favorite posts below.

Here's my plan:
1. some type of colorful garland to hang above doorway and above my china cabinet
2. I have these ugly wall sconces that came with the house. They are gold. Yep.
Gold lamps against a brown wall. I think I might try decoupaging them (as in the "lampshade makeover" link)
3. I received a nice wall candle holder for Christmas. It holds 10 votive candles. I like it, but
it is black. Black would get lost against a brown wall. I'm going to attempt to paint it. I also have a table top holder that matches it. It's getting painted too.
4. I want to do something similar to the "Love Letters" link below.

I can envision it.
In my mind, it looks lovely.
Now, if I can only pull it off! lol

My living room is going to be my project for this year.

In an ideal world, we would just paint the room.
But, it's a HUGE room. It's about the same size as our last house. Really.
Plus, the floor is covered in an ugly brick-looking tile.
Almost any wall color would clash very bad with the floor.
We'd have to change the floor too.
That would be a big and expensive job.
So, I'm going to make the best of what I've got for now.

Jamie suggested I make a Mardi Gras garland because it's the next holiday.
I will probably do it first, then make an every-day one.

I have 2 great books that I bought in the summer:
I've always admired them, but never knew what to do with them.
I think I've found my answer: Garland! lol

I can't wait to get started!

Links from Attic24:
Lampshade makeover

Love letters

Crocheted pillow tutorial


Bird decoration


Circles scarf


Providing inspiration

Granny's flower patch


Hexagon how-to

Flower garland

No comments: