Saturday, February 2, 2008

Reading Incentives

I find that sometimes my children (one in particular) need a little incentive to read more.

In October I came up with the idea of a reading tree.
My son drew a tree on a poster board.
For each book read, a leaf was added to the tree.
It worked quite well, but we ran out of leaves and actually read much more than we recorded.

As an added incentive, I made everyone set reading goals and offered a prize for anyone who reached their goal.
Everyone reached their goals and received new books as a prize!






We planned to do the same thing using a winter theme.
I decided against it, though, because it was really a lot of
work, and as I said, we had the problem of not having enough room for everything they read.

So, I came up with another plan.
This one is much simpler, but it still gives them something to work towards.

This is one side of our bulletin board.
As you can see, there are strings of beads on it.

There is one string for each child.

For every book they read, they get one bead added to the string.
For every tenth book, they get a different colored bead added (makes it easier to count them ;-)).
When they are full, they will get to hang them on their bulletin boards in their rooms as a tangible reminder of how much they've read.
They are hoping to end up with many strings to add to their collection. :-)

I may also offer a prize for this as well- perhaps new books for every string filled.

Oh, and underneath the beads is simply a sheet of paper to record the number of books everyone read each month.


These are little things that may seem insignificant, but they actually work.
My children have been reading almost constantly since I've started this.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed reading your blog. I liked the reading tree...we did a Thankful tree at Thanksgiving. We are enjoying our own little Mardi Gras in Atlanta...I miss LA this time of year more than any! My husband and I are both from north Louisiana and graduated from LSU then lived in N.O. for five years. Would love for you to stop back by!

Amelia Antwiler said...

Angie,
That is cool!!! I may have to borrow this. I was just thinking that I'd have to make sure we join in the summer reading program this year (we missed last year) at the library and read books that go with whatever we have been studying.
I love the bead ideas!! I'm going to save this for next year for sure when G-man is really reading.