Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year's Theme & Goals

I know I’m late in doing this. My entire family (all 6 of us) have been sick since the day after Christmas. We’re on the mend, but life was put on hold for us a bit. Needless to say I didn’t have much time to think about new year’s goals.

Here are my goals, in no particular order.

1. Read more than last year- I’m setting a goal of 40 books this year.

2. Teach youngest child to read by this summer (we homeschool)

3. Read books I already have instead of buying more! That’s going to be a challenge. Since getting my Kindle, I tend to hoard e-books. It’s so hard to pass up free and low priced books!

4. Make afghans for Christmas gifts Every year I say I will do that, but I put it off until it is too late. I have a plan this year, though! I’ve already started.

5. Complete all of my UFO’s before starting more!

6. Write in my gratitude journal at least twice a week. This is a practice that I really enjoy, but I tend to fall out of the habit easily.

7. Love more, laugh more, say “yes” more, choose joy, and remember the things that are important in life.



As usual, I also have a theme for this year, but it is a bit personal to write about on here- at least for now. ;-)

I will say that the following is basically my theme, though in my case it has less to do with interpreting scripture and more to do with rightly dividing thoughts, emotions, etc. - discerning truth.

I know this all sounds rather vague, but it's the best I can do for now. lol


"In his letter to Timothy, Paul writes, “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth” (II Timothy 2:15).

The Greek word translated rightly dividing is orthotomeo, and is used only this one time in the Scriptures. It means “to cut straight,” to make a true and accurate division. However, this definition does not fully satisfy the meaning of the term rightly divide. From one of the roots of this Greek word (orthos, meaning “correct, straight”) comes our English word orthodontics"



2 comments:

Memories of yesterday said...

You'll do great. :) What curriculum, if any, are you using for the reading lessons?

Cajun Mama said...

We tried "Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and he didn't like it. Not at all. I liked it, but he found it boring. We are trying "Explode the Code" now. He likes it better. Hopefully it will work. :)