Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why I Like E-books


I discovered something today.

I realize why I like e-books better than old-fashioned paper books.

You see, I have this thing.

It's a weird thing.

I like things to be finished. Over. Empty.

Nothing makes me happier than having an empty DVR, or an empty e-mail box.

When I get a dvd with several episodes on one disc, I HAVE to watch the entire thing in one sitting.


When I'm playing a video game, I HAVE to finish it. I can't give up. If it takes me months to finish, I will do it. Not necessarily because I'm enjoying it, but because I. have. to. finish. it.

OCD much? lol

When I'm reading a book, I tend to focus on how many pages are left to be read.
Getting to the end of the book is more important than enjoying the book.
It's like this strange obsession that pushes me to finish.
I count how many pages I read each day. Calculate how many pages I have left to read.
When I have a big chunk of a book left, I get discouraged and tend to put the book aside.
Then I feel bad for not reading.

I told ya it was a weird thing.

With e-books, you don't know how many pages are left unless you go to the table of contents and check.
You only see one page at a time.
That big chunk left to be read is not there taunting me. lol

A few years ago,I had a pocket pc that I used for e-books, but it died and I never replaced it.

A month or two ago, my iPod died.
I decided to replace it with an iPod touch.
I was thrilled to find out that you can READ on it!

I now use my iPod more for reading than for music.

You can get thousands of free books (mostly classics) or you can buy them at a fair price through the e-book reader apps.

There is a Kindle app that gives you access to all the Kindle books.
It's not my favorite app. For one thing, it doesn't have a built-in dictionary and
the only place you can get books from is Amazon.

Barnes & Noble has an app. Their prices are the highest I've come across.
The reader isn't the best either.

Stanza is my favorite. It gives you access to Project Gutenburg (the only app that does), and several other free and paid sites.
I like the way the pages turn- you just tap the screen and it flips to a new page,
as opposed to the scrolling up and/or down like the other apps. It also has a built in
dictionary. If you come across a word you don't know, you just tap it and an option to define
it comes up.

I've read 4 books this month, which is much better than I've done all year.

So now you know why I rave about e-books so much. :0)

Until Next Time..........

4 comments:

Maria said...

I am glad that you found something that works for you. It truly amazes me how different people are.

For me there is something about a paper book in my hands that does something for me. I personally don't do well reading very long on a screen. If it is an article I am reading I will print it out and read it like that. I have several stacked on my comp. desk right now. I can't read crochet patterns off of a screen either. It has to be written down.

Of course I just realized something else about my self, I read with a pen or pencil in my hand, sometimes even pleasure reading. I can't mark up a screen, very well. I guess that is part of it for me, and MY OCD. I want something tangible I can go back and read my notes and stuff too.......

NeeNeeKat said...

nice but you just make me jealous but happy it is good for you

Leann said...

That is not WEIRD.... that is ME!!! You just described me!!! LOL I am going to have to check into this Stanza and ipod touch and such.... maybe asking for it for Christmas is a good idea for me. Thanks for not leaving the blog world and for sharing this today! :)

Cajun Mama said...

Leann- SO glad to know I'm not the only one!

Maria- I can't write in books. It's another "thing" I have. I know a lot of people do, but I can't - not even in books that are MEANT to be written in- lol. I will write in a notebook or something.