My 5 year old is left-handed.It was a surprise because my husband, myself, and our other 3 children are all right handed.
Since he was a baby, he has always used his left hand for everything: eating, playing, coloring.
He even kicks a ball with his left foot.
I didn't think it would be much different than
teaching a right handed child to write.
I was wrong.
The first thing I noticed is that he can't write
with a ball point pen.
Because of the position of his hand, the ink just won't flow.
I let him write with colors, markers, or pencils.
Recently he has began mirror writing.
He will start writing on the right side of the page and write the word completely backwards.
(instead of writing "Jaden" it says "nedaJ")
I will correct him, and he will write from left to right for a while, then he will revert to writing right to left.
This is my biggest concern.
Then there's the whole scissors thing. He can't cut because if you hold right-hand scissors upside down, they don't cut.
I've done some online research and found a lot of interesting facts and tips for teaching left-handers to write.
There are special pens, pencils (no. 3 instead of no.2. I didn't know there was any other kind!), scissors, and more for left hand use.
I've learned that there is a certain way they should position their paper to allow their hand to move under the line of writing, thus preventing smudging of their work. This also prevents the hook-hold many left handers use.
There are also every day problem common to left-handers, like having trouble hugging, eating at a table with others, shaking hands, dressing, and more.
I admit, I find it fascinating.
It might be a challenge to help him learn to write correctly, but I am looking forward to it. :-)
Here are some links:
Writing with the Left Hand
Tips for Left-Handers
Everyday Problems for Left-Handers
Handedness Research Institute
Left Handed Children
Until Next Time.....
1 comment:
On the opposite front. Both my MIL and lateFIL are/were left handed and raised five (of six) right handed children.
Both my sister and her husband are left handed, and my niece is right handed. It has been a unique experience for them trying to teach her things like tying shoes etc. I fully expect them to send her to me or his sister for things like that.
I for one have never had a left handed child, and believe it or not in ten years in the classroom have never taught a left handed child to write, which I find truly amazing.....
Post a Comment