Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 in Review

I do this "year-in-review" post almost every year.  This one was difficult to complete.  2012 was a very hard year for my family.

1: What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?  went on the longest road trip I've ever taken

2: Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?  I don't remember my goals for last year.  That's unusual.  I usually write them on my blog so I'll remember.  Apparently I didn't last year.

3: Did anyone close to you give birth? nope

4: Did anyone close to you die? Unfortunately this was a big year for losses. My Aunt Hazel passed away a month ago. We were very close.  It's still hard to think about.  My husband's grandmother died right before Christmas.  My cat, which we've had for about 10 years, died this summer.  We nearly lost my grandmother this summer, but she pulled through and is still with us, thank God.

5: What countries did you visit?  none

6: What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?  Oh, so much.  2012 was a very hard year in many ways. I want 2013 to be the complete opposite of 2012.

7: What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?  November 26- the day my aunt died.  

8: What was your biggest achievement of the year?  Surviving.  Ending  the year on a good note.

9: What was your biggest failure? I'm not sure

10: Did you suffer illness or injury?  I was bedridden for almost the entire month of June with stomach pain.  I spent the whole summer and most of the fall recovering from what I can only guess was severe stomach ulcers.  I never got a clear diagnosis.  Also most of the summer was spent worrying about my aunt, my grandmother, and my own health.  I had another bad bought with depression and anxiety.

11: What was the best thing you bought? A big family vacation to Tennessee

12: Whose behavior merited celebration?

13: Whose behavior made you appalled?  the Newton gunman

14: Where did most of your money go?  These days the majority goes to just daily living.  Other than that we saved most of our extra money for our trip.

15: What did you get really, really, really excited about?  Again, our trip to Tennessee.

16: What song will always remind you of 2012?  The Hurt and the Healer- MercyMe

17: Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?   Sadder, thinner, about the same

18: What do you wish you’d done more of?  living-  I lost so much time being sick

19: What do you wish you’d done less of? complaining, worrying.  I need to trust more.  That was my theme for last year....trust...  I'm still processing.  This year's events and theme aren't lost on me.

20: How did you spend Christmas?  We had a small celebration in Tennessee, complete with a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.  :)   Once we got home, we spent it the same as always- making the rounds to all of our family gatherings.

21: Did you fall in love in 2012? no

22: What was your favorite TV program? Once Upon a Time

23: Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? no

24: What was the best book you read?  I can't limit it to one.  ;)

25: What was your greatest musical discovery?  none, really

26: What did you want and get?  Over the summer I remember just praying for everything to stop.  For it all to be over- the hurt, the worries, the sickness.  Thank God, my prayers were answered.

27: What did you want and not get?  My aunt's recovery

28: What was your favorite film of this year?  There were a lot of good ones this year.  I liked The Hobbit, The Avengers, The Hunger Games, and The Amazing Spider-Man

29: What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying? one thing?  lol

30: How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?   Wal-Mart chic

31: What kept you sane? nothing but the grace of God.

32: Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?  none

33: What political issue stirred you the most?  the election

34: Who did you miss? Hazie

35: Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.......still processing this one

36: Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.  I'm alive, even though a part of me has died.

No comments: